AFFORDABLE HOUSING | Montgomery County is facing a housing shortage. Could building more tiny homes help? Some county council members and affordable housing advocates believe they could. (WAMU, 2/27)
Many smart-growth witnesses at a recent hearing spoke to the benefits of tiny houses, or “Accessory Dwelling Units” (ADUs). Representatives from the Montgomery County chapter of the Sierra Club, the Coalition for Smarter Growth, Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland and the Affordable Housing Conference of Montgomery County said they offer a sustainable form of cheaper housing at no cost to the county. Others said ADUs meet the needs of intergenerational families and homeowners who could use the extra income.
– A new report found that school districts that are predominantly white receive $23 billion more than districts that serve mostly students of color. (NPR, 2/26)
– Democratic leaders of the Maryland House of Delegates have asked Del. Mary Ann Lisanti to resign over her use of a racial slur. (WaPo, 2/28)
– After the recommended name change for Colonel E. Brooke Lee Middle School, the names of all Montgomery County public schools will be reviewed to ensure they are appropriate. (Bethesda Magazine, 2/26)
– How Racist Property Laws Formed The Neighborhoods We Live In Today (Kojo Show, 2/26)
EQUITY | Is Your Board Ready to Advance Equity? (NCRP, 2/21)
ENVIRONMENT | The Largest Solar Farm On The East Coast Is Coming To Virginia — If Opponents Don’t Kill It First (WAMU, 2/27)
DISTRICT | Sen. Warner of Virginia has now agreed to support DC statehood. (WaPo, 2/28)
– Over District Objection, Metro Board Votes To Keep Current Metrorail Hours (WAMU, 2/28)
– DC has reinstated the driver’s licenses of nearly 66,000 individuals whose licenses were suspended because of traffic fines. (dcist, 2/27)
– According to a new study, the rate of grantmaking from donor-advised funds is resilient during economic recessions. (Chronicle, 2/26 – subscription)
Social Sector Job Openings
Corporate Responsibility- Mid-Atlantic Region Team, Vice President | JPMorgan Chase – New!
Northern Virginia Community Affairs Liaison | CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield – New!
USPSC Senior Contracts and Grants Specialist | USAID’s Office of Food for Peace
Operations Manager | Diverse City Fund
Development Communications Manager | PeerForward
Communications and Development Specialist | Grantmakers In Health
Vice President for Donor Relations | Community Foundation of Howard County
Senior Communications Officer | Gill Foundation
Individual Giving Manager | National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health
Development Manager | American Society of Landscape Architects
President | Virginia United Methodist Foundation
Chief Financial & Administrative Officer | Horizon Foundation
Foundation and Government Relations Officer | Shakespeare Theatre Company
Grants & Communications Officer | The Crimsonbridge Foundation
Executive Director | VHC Medical Brigade
Director of Development | DC Bar Foundation
Senior Supervising Attorney, Criminal Justice Reform | Southern Poverty Law Center
Programs Officer | DC Bar Foundation
Program Associate for Strategy, Equity, and Research | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Hello, hive mind: Who knew bees can do basic arithmetic?
The (Almost) Daily WRAG will be published next week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday!