PUBLIC SAFETY | A Montgomery County nonprofit has released an analysis of how District Court judges handle hearings for domestic violence protection orders. The data comes from volunteers from the organization who observed hearings for those seeking protection orders. (Bethesda Beat, 8/2)
The recommended practices are:
- When victims wish to drop their cases, judges should try to ensure that a victim has not been coerced or intimidated and take a moment to discuss the person’s safety.
- When victims do drop their cases, judges should encourage petitioners to return to court any time they are in danger from an intimate partner.
- Judges should tell every respondent receiving an order that violating a protective order can result in imprisonment.
- Judges should tell every respondent receiving a final protective order that the person must surrender all guns to law enforcement immediately.
- Judges and bailiffs should implement staggered exits, such as having the respondent wait in the courtroom for a minimum of 15 minutes after the victim’s departure.
– Maryland’s House Speaker is joining other politicians across the country who are leading efforts to ensure access to abortions. (WaPo, 8/2)
ARTS & HUMANITIES | A new play, ‘Shakespeare Is A White Supremacist’, will explore the plight of people of color in the arts. (DCist, 8/2)
YOUTH | Community Raises Funds To Send D.C. Little League Champs To Regional Tournament (WAMU, 8/2)
Social Sector Job Openings
Major Gifts Officer | Food & Friends –New!
Executive Director | Gandhi Brigade Youth Media –New!
Membership & Development Director | Funders’ Committee for Civic Participation –New!
Associate, Resource Development | Flamboyan Foundation
Operations Specialist | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Membership Assistant | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Director, School Partnerships Coach | Flamboyan Foundation
Program Officer | Jane Bancroft Robinson Foundation
Part-Time Program Administrator for the Bernie Scholarship Awards Program | Greater Washington Community Foundation
Membership Development Manager | Exponent Philanthropy
Senior Manager of Policy | United Philanthropy Forum
Evaluation & Impact Manager | DC Bar Foundation
Director of Development and Communications | Madison House Autism Foundation
Development Manager | Young Playwrights’ Theater
Sr. Social Innovation Specialist | Washington Gas
Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations | Wolf Trap Foundation
Foundation Coordinator | The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation
Senior Manger of Policy | United Philanthropy Forum
This GWU professor could be the next host of Jeopardy, once Alex Trebek resigns.