THIS WEEK IN THE WRAG COMMUNITY
Today is Deloitte Impact Day – a nationwide day of service in celebration of Deloitte’s year-round commitment to local communities. See how they are making an #ImpactThatMatters on this #ImpactDay over on Twitter.
THIS WEEK IN VIRGINIA
– The Northern Virginia Health Foundation and the Virginia Commonwealth University Center on Society and Health released a new report examining the disparities in life expectancy among Northern Virginia’s richest and poorest residents. While the area often tops rankings for happiness, health, etc, many residents are falling behind based on factors like education, income, and race. (WaPo, 6/7)
THIS WEEK IN HOUSING
– In their Matters@Hand thought leadership series sponsored by Enterprise Community Partners, HAND put a spotlight on the Roadmap for the Region’s Future Economy and efforts toward regional collaboration on affordable housing. (Helping Hands Blog, 6/6)
THIS WEEK IN THE WORKFORCE
– With more than 90 percent of transgender people experiencing some form of harassment in the workplace, the D.C. Office of Human Rights and the National LGBTQ Task Force created a first-of-its-kind guide for employers for making work environments more accommodating. (WCP, 6/6)
– On Consumer Health Foundation‘s blog, former board member Liz Ben-Ishai interviewed Ron Harris of the the Twin Cities-based group Neighborhoods Organizing for Change, and discussed the intersections of race and the growing fair job scheduling movement. (CHF, 6/9)
– The Brookings Institution looked at some of the challenges and opportunities ahead for the economic security and employment prospects of young people. (Brookings, 6/7)
THIS WEEK IN POVERTY/CHILDREN
– Opinion: Two experts discussed how the constant stress placed on children in poverty can take a toll on their mental and physical health, creating the need for better collaboration between schools and health providers. (WaPo, 6/6)
– The Families That Can’t Afford Summer (NYT, 6/4)
Visit WRAG’s Job Board for the latest job openings in the region’s social sector.
WRAG’S COMMUNITY CALENDAR
Click the image below to access WRAG’S Community Calendar. To have your event included, please send basic information including event title, date/time, location, a brief description of the event, and a link for further details to: firstname.lastname@example.org.