EQUITY | Mayor Vincent Gray followed the lead of a number of states yesterday by announcing a proposal to allow undocumented immigrants to apply for driver’s licenses in the District. A similar plan was signed into law yesterday in Maryland. (WaPo, 5/2)
YOUTH | A new homeless shelter for youth is opening in Prince George’s County. The shelter will be run by Sasha Bruce Youthwork, and will serve a population that officials assume to be undercounted in the county. (WaPo, 5/3)
– The George Washington University Center for Excellence in Public Leadership have announced the winners of the 2012-13 Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation Awards for Distinguished DC Government Employees. Among the five winners is Michael Kharfen, Bureau Chief, Partnerships, Capacity Building & Community Outreach at the Department of Health. The Washington AIDS Partnership has partnered with Michael Kharfen and DOH on a number of projects over the years, including the Female Condom Initiative, the HIV drug pipeline, and Positive Pathways.
Says WAP executive director Channing Wickham,
This award is incredibly well-deserved. Michael Kharfen is a wonderful colleague and creative and out-of-the-box thinker. He works quietly behind the scenes, never taking credit while delivering huge results. His ability to create public-private partnerships that deliver real results for District residents is remarkable. Well done.
– Congratulations to Margaret O’Bryon, former CEO of the Consumer Heath Foundation and WRAG board member, for being named the 2013-14 Nielsen Chair in Philanthropy by the Center for Public & Nonprofit Leadership at Georgetown University.
– The Fairfax County school system is facing even more budget problems over the next couple of years. (WaPo, 5/3)
– Six out of 10 Montgomery County high schoolers flunk algebra final (Examiner, 5/3)
– Charter school waitlists hit 22,000 (Examiner, 5/3)
LOCAL | Chinatown Documentary Explores Past, Future Of Changing Neighborhood (WAMU, 5/3)
PHILANTHROPY | New Google Giving App Promotes Small Gifts (Chronicle, 5/3) Okay, but what about an app that promotes large gifts?
It’s Friday and it’s nice out. If you’re stuck eating lunch inside, you might has well flex your brain with some logic puzzles, right?