> On Dec 15, 2008, a coalition of eight regional organizations convened “Nonprofit 911” to bring over 500 foundation, nonprofit, business, and government leaders together to develop a plan of action that redefines how the nonprofit sector operates in this new fiscal reality. Visit the Nonprofit 911 Network to continue the conversation.
– Washington Coalition Formed to Help Charities Weather the Economic Crisis (Chronicle, 12/15) – “The foundation community understands that there’s a fragile social nonprofit sector that has become even more fragile,” said Tamara Lucas Copeland.
– Nonprofit Groups Forced To Do More With Less (NPR, 12/15)
– Local Nonprofit Leaders Meet to Address Recession (WAMU, 12/15)
– Giant Wall St. Fraud Leaves Charities Reeling (NYTimes, 12/15) – JEHT Foundation and at least two others close their doors.
– Washington charity among Bernard Madoff victims (WBJ, 12/16) – The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington had $10 million invested with Bernard Madoff.
– Changes at the Meyer Foundation – “Albert Ruesga has been named President and CEO of the Greater New Orleans Foundation.” “Kathy Freshley…has announced her retirement at the end of February 2009.”
– Interview: Annette Gantt, new president and CEO of the Earth Conservation Corps (Examiner, 12/15)
In D.C., Trying to Curb 10-Year Wait for Housing (WaPo, 12/16)
Fairfax budget shortfall nears $650 million (Examiner, 12/16) – “$200 million larger than what officials projected six months ago”