We remain concerned about the prospects of losing the support of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for our region, and we need members of the community to share their concerns with their members of Congress.
1) Possible Messages:
– [Describe yourself] I am writing as your constituent [and…]
– Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are leading philanthropic partners in our region. They have been the top two corporate grantmakers for many years. Last year, they invested $47 million in nonprofits in this region. Fannie’s and Freddie’s investments have helped to shelter our neighbors in need, build affordable housing, feed the hungry, and invest in children, youth and families.
– [What has Fannie’s/Freddie’s funding meant to you/your partner organizations/your grantees/the community.]
– If these investments were to suddenly disappear, it would tear a hole in the region’s safety net and there would be scores of unmet needs. With local government shortfalls and business declines, no one else could make up the difference.
– We need the Federal Housing Finance Agency to allow Fannie and Freddie to continue their grantmaking at previous levels.
2) The Ask:
I appreciate that Congressman/Senator __________ has already demonstrated leadership on this issue and has contacted James Lockhart, Director of the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA). I ask that Congressman/Senator __________________ again contact Mr. Lockhart, to inquire about the status of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac grantmaking and to urge the Federal Housing Finance Agency to protect the Freddie Mac Foundation and to allow the corporate giving programs of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to continue at their current funding levels and with support that meets the multiple needs of the region.
3) Send e-mail to… (additional contact info):
* The District
Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton – Sheila Bunn, Chief of Staff: email@example.com
Senator Ben Cardin (MD) – Christopher Lynch, Chief of Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congresswoman Donna Edwards – Adrienne Christian, Chief of Staff: email@example.com
Congressman Steny Hoyer – Terry Lierman, Chief of Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senator Barbara Mikulski – Julia Frifield, Chief of Staff: email@example.com
Congressman Christopher J. Van Hollen, Jr. – Karen Robb, Chief of Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congressman Thomas M. Davis – Bill Womack, Chief of Staff: email@example.com
Congressman James P. Moran – Frank Shafroth, Chief of Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senator John Warner – L. Carter Cornick III, Chief of Staff: email@example.com
Senator James Webb – Paul Reagan, Chief of Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congressman Frank R. Wolf – Daniel Scandling, Chief of Staff: email@example.com
Note: As part of our plans going forward we will also contact newly elected officials from Virginia, Gerry Connolly and Mark Warner.
4) Report back!
Please send an email about about any contacts that you make to Tamara Lucas Copeland, firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Coalition of membership-umbrella organizations includes the Board of Trade, the Center for Nonprofit Advancement, the Council of Governments, Leadership Greater Washington, the Nonprofit Roundtable of Greater Washington, the United Way of the National Capital Area, and the Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers.