Bad economy hurts Urban Alliance’s internship program (WaPo, 10/21) – Several companies can’t hire students this fall, but many are still continuing. World Bank’s Viki Betancourt: “It’s an amazing opportunity for both the students and for us.”
– Foundations tackle financial meltdown (Pittsburgh Trib-Review, 10/20) – “We’ve already adjusted downward 10 percent what we anticipated giving this year,” says one foundation executive.
– Conde Nast Portfolio.com – “The Generosity Issue” (Nov. 2008) – including Q&A with billionaires Eli Broad and Carl Icahn
– Foundation Center Releases ‘Local Mission-Global Vision: Community Foundations in the 21st Century’ (wire, 10/20)
Slump Cuts Flow of Revenue to Trust Fund (WaPo, 10/21) – D.C.’s Housing Production Trust Fund is hurting for funds.
Number of foreclosures drop in Maryland suburbs (Examiner, 10/21)
JUVENILE JUSTICE/YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
Adult Crimes, Young Offenders: ‘Where Do We Draw the Line?’ (WaPo, 10/21)
– Mellon Foundation Gives Millions to Help Playwrights (NYTimes, 10/20)
– Museums Fear Lean Days Ahead (NYTimes, 10/19)