Some social profit leaders are trying to “boost the presence of philanthropy and community service in a new administration.” (WaPo, 8/19) Egger: “We’re the only industry of this size and scope that doesn’t have a real voice in this process.” Gunderson: “There are a lot of people in this sector who will get nervous about the federal government becoming too engaged in philanthropy.”
“Va. Shortfall Is Possible, Kaine Says” (WaPo, 8/19) – And it sounds like “possible” means “definitely happening.” This is a shortfall “that some lawmakers say could top $1 billion.” School budgets will likely be affected.
Time: Still Marching On – For this year’s college freshmen…
– GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
– The Tonight Show has always been hosted by Jay Leno.
– Michael Milken has always been a philanthropist promoting prostate cancer research.
– Muscovites have always been able to buy Big Macs.
– College grads have always been able to Teach for America.
More sobering facts on Beloit College’s Mindset List for the Class of 2012.