Bay Area Philanthropist Offers Help In A Hurry (CBS5, 6/9) – Bill Somerville has what sounds like the ‘Blink’ theory of grantmaking: instant funding decisions (or close to it). “Drowning in paperwork,” he is not. He has a book out. A couple of copies have ended up in our office–feel free to borrow one next time you drop by.
Annie E. Casey Foundation’s 2008 KIDS COUNT data book release and Capitol Hill briefing happens this Thursday (wire, 6/10)
– The DC nonprofit “Teachers Institute” suspends operations as Chancellor Rhee cuts all funding (WaPo, 6/10)
– Federal audit finds that Teach for America had accounting failures (NYTimes, 6/7)
CYITC’s Greg Roberts was named president and CEO of the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville, Ky.
Microsoft, Kaiser Plan Online Health Records System (Bloomberg, 6/10) – a rival to Google Health
– Children, Youth, and Families Working Group: Quarterly Meeting – June 11
– GreenSPACE Funders Briefing – June 16
– Funders Forum on Workforce Development – June 17
– Family Philanthropy Symposium – June 17
– “Integrating Mental and Physical Healthcare” – June 18