D.C. City Council proposal would provide universal health coverage [News, 4/2]


A recap of Catania’s plan and news coverage (Kaisernetwork.org, 4/1) – Kind of a big deal! The plan would mandate coverage, provide subsidies. “About $21 million of the cost would be paid by the city, and [WG member] CareFirst would contribute about $5 million. CareFirst also would make its provider network available to program beneficiaries…” Mayor Fenty is “supportive of the concept.”

DC COUNCIL…
approves pre-K increase (WaTimes, 4/2)
repeals landlords’ exemption from tenants rights laws for condo conversions when buildings are vacant (WaPo, 4/2)
votes for new oversight of economic development projects (WBJ, 4/1) – “in an effort to ensure that developers keep promises to build affordable housing, meet environmental standards, hire District workers and involve local and disadvantaged businesses.”

PHILANTHROPY
The guy behind California’s foundation diversity bill has some more ideas: (SFGate, 4/2) – “We have written Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to request that half of the annual income of the state’s foundations be devoted to helping low-income victims of the recession for the next two years.” Wow, that’s a heapload of regulation! Joel Fleishman might note that the 88% of Americans who can’t name a single foundation couldn’t care less about this. (And the other 12% probably aren’t losing sleep either.)

Foundation Center: Giving by U.S. family foundations up 21 percent (3/27) 

CHILD WELFARE
[DC] Surge in Caseload Has Put Agency in ‘Crisis,’ Court Told (WaPo, 4/2)

BUDGET – Spending for D.C. children and youths would increase by $181 million in the proposed 2009 budget, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty said yesterday. (WaPo, 4/2)

________________
@ WG:
– April 3:
Health Working Group 
– April 15: CYF: East of the River Task Force