– D.C. Council passes bill to expand pre-K. Pre-K for All DC: “We’re absolutely thrilled.” (WaPo, 3/19)
– In new pilot program, D.C. START, counselors will go beyond classroom for early interventions for troubled students. (WaPo, 3/19) – involves 17 D.C. agencies
– Maryland will likely participate in an NCLB pilot program that will distinguish between failing schools and those making gradual process but not meeting guidelines. (Examiner, 3/19)
– “Breaking the Silence”–Inheritance Reconsidered (NYTimes, 3/18) – $41 trillion will change hands by 2052 … “change in philosophy reflects the fact that there are more millionaires who have earned their wealth rather than inherited it”
– IRS Removes Donor-Advised Funds from ‘Dirty Dozen’ List of Tax Scams (PND, 3/18)
– Weakness in Economy Isn’t Hurting Charities (NYTimes, 3/17) …yet.
Deadline to Clean Chesapeake By 2010 Probably Won’t Be Met (WaPo, 3/19) – Officials concede they didn’t act fast enough. Say what’s needed now is a new plan… which they can have ready by 2011.
– Tomorrow! Washington Grantmakers 101s & New CEO Reception