A June 2004 cover story in The New York Times Magazine called Geoffrey Canada’s Harlem Children’s Zone (HCZ) “one of the most ambitious social experiments of our time.” Bill Clinton recently sang HCZ’s and Canada’s praises on the David Letterman Show. In a speech at THEARC in Southeast D.C., presidential candidate Barack Obama suggested that the HCZ program be replicated nationwide.
Acclaimed activist and author Geoffrey Canada will provide the luncheon plenary address at Washington Grantmakers’ Nov. 15 conference.
– Event Schedule (.pdf)
– Nonprofits welcome!
Note: This year’s conference is an all day event,
concluding with a 15th Anniversary
from 4:30 to 6 p.m.
– Geoffrey Canada, President & CEO, Harlem Children’s Zone
– Joel Fleishman*, Author, The Foundation: A Great American Secret
– Alice Rivlin, PhD, Senior Fellow & Director, Greater Washington Research Program, Brookings Institution
This year’s annual meeting will be a celebratory, informational, educational and inspirational experience for the WG membership, our partners and friends, highlighting the impact Washington Grantmakers and its members have had in the region during the past 15 years and the essential role the sector will play in the region moving forward.
* Fleishman will speak at the members only meeting at 9:30 a.m, and will be available to sign books at 11 a.m. in the exhibit hall.
* Sponsorship opportunities (.doc)