Foundation to assist Harbor Committee (WaPo, 4/1)
Faced with “slush fund” accusations, the National Harbor Community Outreach Committee will now partner with the Prince George’s Community Foundation [WG member] for assistance with establishing written rules and reporting on outcomes.
Giving circles “grant hope” (WaTimes, 4/1) – $1/day adds up.
Joining Washington Grantmakers:
– The Accokeek Foundation stewards 200 acres of Piscataway National Park in Accokeek, MD, working to preserve and protect the beauty of the Maryland shore of the Potomac.
– The Jim and Carol Trawick Foundation helps local human service and arts non-profit organizations achieve their missions. In February, the Trawicks gave $1 million to the Strathmore performing arts center to benefit children in grades K-12.
“Charities Increase Mission Investing” (LATimes, 3/31)
“Charitable foundations are slowly increasing their use of loans and investments to support philanthropic goals, according to a study released Friday.”
- – “Schools get funds to mirror U.Va.’s College Guides” (Times Dispatch, 4/2) – more coverage and kudos for Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s [WG member] “College Guides”
- – Fenty’s schools takeover is looking like a lock (WaPo, 4/1)
- – Teaching to the test (WaPo, 4/2) – in Washington region, “a proliferation of testing coordinators”
- – Simplifying the Federal Student Aid Process (WaPo, 4/2)